I would like to share some interesting facts about PHP which every web developer should know. These facts can also be very important for the beginners as it will give them a basic overall understanding of this useful language and also for experienced developers who are unaware about it.
- PHP originally stood for Personal Home Page.
- PHP was originally designed to replace a set of Perl scripts to maintain Personal Home Pages (also known as PHP).
- PHP which is now officially known as ‘Hypertext Preprocessor’ was released in the year 1995.
- PHP 3 was official launched in June 1998.
- PHP is free software released under the PHP License, which is incompatible with the GNU General Public License (GPL) due to restrictions on the use of the term PHP.
- PHP was originally designed to create dynamic and more interactive web pages. It is the most widely-used, open-source and general-purpose scripting language.
- It is possible to use PHP in almost every operating system. PHP can be used in all major operating systems including Linux, Microsoft Windows, Mac OS X, and RISC OS.
- PHP uses procedural programming or object oriented programming and also a mixture of them.
- Some of the biggest online brands, such as Facebook, ProProfs, Digg, Friendster, Flickr, Technorati, and Yahoo! are powered by PHP.
- PHP is installed on over 20 million websites and 1 million web servers.
- 75% of Web 2.0 sites are built in PHP.
- There are about 6 million PHP developers worldwide.